Friday, February 13, 2015

Sarafrey Station - Mining Outpost

Journal Entry 702;
recording entity - Corporal Stam Harvey

Date: 021312

I don't see much out this way.  Its not a job for someone that likes new things... or people... or eating stuff that resembles food... or running water... or any comforts of modern society at all really...



Ol Yella keeps me company during the work shift. We grind rocks together with the tunes hammering to drown out the monotonous sprinkling noise of dust and gravel raining onto the thin hull.


The station's AI who I refer to as Kibbles is one of those induced personality types, always trying to breach the human-AI relationship issues... some left over gimmick from the era of long-term space habitation for individuals causing mental issues... back before they engineered folks to be able to handle this kind of work.  Kibbles is cute, we get along.  But damn if only it would leave me the hell alone when I was trying to watch a flick... wow. Some programmer's sense of humor I guess.


 I like living out here alone, even though there's room for three.

 It's quiet.  It's home.


So imagine my surprise when Kibbles notified me we were being hailed by one SVG Excavator.  In her usual "personality-driven" way... thinks it's funny...


SVG Excavator was piloted by a Private Jon Marksberg, asking for sanctuary for repairs.  Some bit-ma-bob blew up in the engines and she needed to dock somewhere for repairs.  Great, it's been about four and a half years since I spoke to someone face to face... makes me nervous but it's in my contract to assist passing vessels so I ordered Kibbles to enable the docking protocols and the rest was without my supervision.


The cargo hangar of the habitation module had the parts SVG Excavator needed to complete repairs, according to Kibbles.  I'd have to dig them out of the back, but Marksberg could help me move the cargo pods, so it wasn't going to be as much effort as it looked at first.

SVG Excavator docked and Marksberg spent an interesting couple of days at Sarafrey.  My agrophobia was quickly overcome - Marksberg was quite sociable and pleasant and seemed to understand the mentality that I'd developed being out here alone for so long, and didn't judge me for it.


He showed me wonderful things... not least of which was his amazing salvage ship Excavator.  What a beast... put Ol Yella to shame that's for sure.  Dry Empire was adding a new ship to its already formidable fleet - he even showed me a picture he had of it in halfway through construction... a large support vessel of some sort that was said to be capable of reaching stations and systems throughout the empire using a new form of drive that allowed it to warp to locations, saving many hours of flight time.



When Marksberg finally had to leave I had mixed feelings... it was great to get my space back but it was also a shame to see him go, along with the flood of new information, ideas, and news that he had brought with him.  We agreed that I should buy myself a runabout and travel to Dry Station some day...

Yeah... some day...

Sarafrey Station mining outpost 001a is downloadable and available for public use for free.  Simply put the file into your "blueprints" folder (eg: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\StarMade\StarMade\blueprints) and you will have access to this station in-game under "Catalog" menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment